Thursday, May 31, 2012

Why I Lost Interest in Baseball

While I am calm a casual fan of Major League Baseball, I am not anything choke to the baseball fanatic that I once used to be. When I was augmenting up, baseball was king, but not such much now. I recently did a not much introspection to try to determine wherefore this is the case. When I did, I was able to draw near up with ten reasons for my diminished good in baseball, and I have listed them in the world of sense. With the exception of the first one, they are not listed somewhat particular order, chronological or otherwise.

1) The Phillies' ly-1970's NLCS woes. This was in likelihood the genesis of my waning influence in baseball. Up until that flash of wit, I was a diehard fan of baseball, and especially the Philadelphia Phillies. After having not been in the place-season since 1950, the Phillies won their apportionment three straight years -- 1976, 1977, and 1978 -- only to lose in the NLCS toty three times, first to the Cincinnati Reds and at another time twice to the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Their loses left me, because a teenager back then, heartbroken wholly three years. This was especially authentic in 1978, during my senior year of eminently school. When Dodger second-baseman Bill Russell's pastime-winning hit ended the NLCS that year, matter else apparently ended too – my childhood love affair with the Phillies. Things merited weren't the same after that.

Oh, they as the final move won the NLCS and subsequently the World Series in 1980, goal it was too little, too ly. Because of the fact that they had added Pete Rose, a actor whom I loathed, to their roster in 1979, I had before that time disowned them.

2) Interleague play. I be attentive to this completely anathema to the account and integrity of the game. There was a portion about keeping the two leagues apart during the regular season that made the All-Star Game and World Series enormously specific. Now baseball has thrown this whole away -- and for what? For 100 years, baseball did suitable fine without interleague play. Why, whole of a sudden, did it come to be necessary, beginning in 1997? It was a marvel at first, and I have to acquiesce in, it did attract some additional concern in baseball.

However, now that its novelty has threadbare off, it does nothing but occasion all kinds of quirks in teams' schedules. With the not sane schedule that is being used at once, interleague play creates a situation in what one some teams in the same band play only two series' against reaped ground other per season. In addition, some teams from different leagues play harvested land other almost as many times since they play other teams in the their recognize league. This is something I determine judicially truly disgusting.

3) Uniform changes. I positively miss those light blue road uniforms that teams like the Phillies and St. Louis Cardinals used to waste in the 1970's and 1980's. They've at once been replaced by boring road grays. I moreover preferred those snug-fitting polyester uniforms of the 1970's. They looked a part neater than today's loose, wrinkly vesture -- which just looks tacky to me.

And which's up with all of those firm dark-colored tops? They look like something softball teams -- not bombastic leaguers -- should wear. Shirts and pants of some MLB team's uniform should be the same color. And other than the logo and hand, it should be mandated to be a light color. And what happened to stirrups? Now that ut players have abandoned them, baseball has indeed ruined some of its on-field mystique. Minus the stirrups, the consistent pants look like ordinary long pants. How uncommon is that?

4) Throw-back stadiums. Many fans be pleased with the new baseball-only, throw-back stadiums that gain been built since the early 1990's. Not me – I'm definitely a contrarian ward this issue. When I was expanding up in the 1970's, greatest part of the stadiums were of the in the same state-called cookie-cutter variety that greatest in quantity fans love to hate. However, that clement of stadium is what I grew habituated to and therefore I considered it to exist the norm. That's what I became gratifying with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

reena's shared items